Kilmurry Arts and Heritage Centre is situated in the Old Kilmurry Church, situated behind the Hurlers Pub in Castletroy Co. Limerick.
The mission of the volunteer committee of the Kilmurry Arts and Heritage Centre is to ensure that this unique building is available to the people of Castletroy for generations to come. There are two connected parts to this mission:
- Ensure that the building is kept in a fit state for use,
- Provide a space for community activities that are affordable to those who use it.
The ongoing cost of repairs, heating and insurance of the centre is raised through renting out the hall for various activities from homework clubs, maths grinds to choir rehearsals and weight watchers. Previously, it was also home to art classes and a historical society.
The Old Kilmurry Church, which is home to the Kilmurry Arts and Heritage Centre was built between 1810 and 1812 on the site of a previous church. The current church was built with a grant of £580 from the Board of First Fruits.
In November 1812 a very strong gale damaged the new spire and the church itself was nearly destroyed by lightning. The Reverend Henry Ingram, the Rector, had the church repaired at his own expense.
In 1861 the Reverend Charles Ward, a new rector, found the church in bad repair. He had the church closed for a year and in March 1866 it was re-opened. There was a new vestry and the floors were newly tiled. In 1872 new windows were installed. The church was well supported at this time by the many wealthy families who lived locally.
In 1950 more repairs were made to the church tower and electric lighting and heating were installed.
Since then, the committee has continued to fundraise to keep the church in working order, from upgrading the heating, repairing the spire and adding toilet facilities.
For further information on the work of the committee or to become involved with the committee, please contact the Chairperson, Marian Hurley, at 086-2449297
For bookings, please contact Colette at 061-331025